To the average person, awards shows are simply television shows with trophies, speeches and performances. However, there are many moving pieces and details and interesting things that happen along the way. Here are our 5 most-interesting details about our show.
5. It’s not an “annual” show. The show is referred to by its season, rather than annual because the show skipped a year a few times.
4. The first NAACP Image Awards was held in 1967 at the Beverly Hilton Hotel in the International Ballroom. On the menu? Supreme of Fresh Fruit Princesse, Beef Bourguignon, Mousseline Au Gratin Potatoes and for dessert, Bombe Glace.
3. The ceremony has been held at many of the theaters in Los Angeles including, Wiltern, El Rey, Pasadena Civic Auditorium, Shrine, Dolby Theater and for the first time this year, in your living room!
2. The NAACP Image Awards trophy is manufactured by Society Awards, the same company that manufactures the EMMY.
1. Prince agreed to perform for the 36th NAACP Image Awards in 2005 under one condition – that his performance could not be interrupted or edited by the network. He performed for 12 minutes and 11 seconds.
Be sure to follow the NAACP Image Awards on Instagram (@NAACPImageAwards), Twitter (@NAACPImageAward) and YouTube (YouTube.com/NAACPImageAwards). Also, join us Saturday, March 27th on BET at 8/7c. Click here to see nominees!